Explore two valleys and climb three peaks in the Everest region of Nepal.
October 11 – November 4, 2014
Land Cost: $5900/person
(see bottom for trekking only prices and dates)
Join us for a once in a lifetime experience as we trek through the famous Khumbu and Gokyo Valleys in the heart of the Himalayas., while attempting the summits of three prominent peaks. On this expedition, we will get to experience the culture of the Nepalese people, explore the breathtaking scenery of the Everest region and partake in some world-class climbing. We will begin our trip in the culture rich city of Kathmandu. After a day of sightseeing at your leisure, we will board our flight to Lukla. The small village of Lukla is the jumping off point for Mt. Everest teams attempting the South side of the mountain as well as teams attempting many other significant peaks in the region. From Lukla we will start our trek to the village of Phakding. After a nights rest in a local teahouse, we will begin our ascent to Namche Bazaar, the cultural hub of the Khumbu Valley. We will spend a full day here to aid in our acclimatization. After a good rest, we will set off again to the villages of Dole, Machermo, and on to Gokyo. We will then attempt the summit of our first peak Gokyo Ri (5,357m) where we will get an excellent view of Everest, Lhotse, Cho Oyu, and our next objective Nirekha Peak. After a couple more days of trekking, we will arrive at Nirekha Base Camp where we will spend some time to acclimate. Our climb of Nirekha (6,169m) is our first big objective and will begin with a climb to high camp. An attempt of the lofty summit will take place the next day. Nirekha Peak is deep in the Himalayas near the Tibet border, nestled beneath the giants of Everest, Cho Oyu, and Cholatse. It has only recently been opened up to Western climbers. The climb itself is mostly ice and snow and requires the use of an ice axe and crampons as well as the use of fixed ropes. We will have a training session before the climb, for those not familiar with these skills. The view from the summit of Nirekha is second to none. It offers an unobstructed view of many of the world’s highest peaks. Following our climb of Nirekha, we will then cross over the Cho La Pass and descend into the Khumbu Valley just below Everest Base Camp. We will visit Everest Base Camp and head towards our next major objective, Island Peak (6,189m). After a rest day at Base Camp, we will attempt the Summit. Base camp to high camp is basically a hike but just above high camp, some rocky steps require moderate scrambling and then up through a broad open gully. At the top of the gully, glacier travel begins and proceeds up to a steep snow and ice slope. From here it is a strenuous ascent of nearly 100m to the summit ridge. The climb to the summit is somewhat difficult due to steep climbing, but the rewards are significant with Lhotse rising less than 10km away. Our trek home will take us through more Khumbu villages such as Pangboche before arriving back at Namche Bazaar, completing our loop. We will then make a long trek from Namche to Lukla, where we will fly back to Kathmandu. On this expedition we will spend 14 nights in local teahouses and 7 nights camping.
Day 01 : Arrive in Kathmandu International Airport, transfer to Hotel.
Day 02 : Sightseeing in Kathmandu. (First half of the day is guided).
Day 03 : Flight from Kathmandu to Lukla. Trek to Phakding.
Day 04 : Phakding to Namache Bazar.
Day 05 : Acclimatization in Namche Bazaar.
Day 06 : Namche Bazaar to Dole.
Day 07 : Dole to Machermo.
Day 08 : Machermo to Gokyo.
Day 09 : Gokyo Trek to Gokyo Ri and 5th lake
Day 10 : Gokyo to Thangna.
Day 11 : Thangna to Nirekha Base Camp.
Day 12 : Acclimatization at Nirekha Base camp.
Day 13 : Nirekha Base Camp to High Camp.
Day 14 : High Camp to Nirekha peak Summit (6169m) return to Base Camp.
Day 15 : Nirekha Base Camp, over Cho La pass to Camp at Lobuche.
Day 16 : Everest Base Camp and over night in Gorak Shep.
Day 17 : Trek to Dingboche.
Day 18 : Trek to Island Peak Base Camp
Day 19 : Acclimatize at Island Peak Base Camp (weather window)
Day 20 : Island Peak Summit and back to Base Camp.
Day 21 : Trek to Pangboche.
Day 22: Trek to Namche Bazaar.
Day 23: Trek to Lukla.
Day 24: Fly to Kathmandu
Day 25: Departure for Home.
Included in this itinerary:
• Airport transfers,
• Three nights’ accommodations in Kathmandu in BB and twin share,
• All internal transfers,
• All permits related to expedition,
• All meals when camping.
• Trekking crew (cook, kitchen staff, porter etc),
• Climbing Sherpa (mountain guides),
• Insurance of all crew member (not of clients),
• Camping and kitchen equipment for trek to base camp and while in base camp,
• Necessary climbing equipment for above base camp all equipment for climbing/camping.
• All necessities above base camp like tents, gas, food and ropes etc,
• Comprehensive Medical kit
• Portable Altitude Chamber and Medicinal purpose Oxygen,
• Satellite phone and Radio set for communications
• Personal trek equipment (sleeping bag, duvet jacket, sleeping sheet, kit bag)
• Climbing equipment (harness, ice-axe, crampons Ropes, Helmets etc )
• Lodging during the Itinerary.
• Local Porters.
• Meals when staying at the Tea Houses ($25-$30/Day)
• Flights to/from Kathmandu
• Personal expenses and souvenirs
• Travel Insurance
• Nepal tourist Visa
• Alcohol, cold drinks, snacks, laundry, internet etc.
• Personal trekking gear and clothing.
• Emergency Evacuation (Insurance is recommended)
• Unforeseen costs arising from a change in the itinerary such as domestic flight delays, political disturbances etc.
EVEREST BASE CAMP TREK ONLY
Land Cost: $4000/person
October 11 – November 1